Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blissfully Unaware

Second grade is still such a time of self-unawareness and I need to treasure it. In a system that is working to fit much into the day and holding kids to high academic standards (as they should!), sometimes I forget they're kids and they just need to be eight years old!

That being said, as I appreciate their developmental stage, I can't help but laugh! Whether they know it or not, my kiddos give me a good workout everyday! I haven't done crunches since I started teaching...laugh so hard each day I don't need to!


Recent Favorites:

1.A student loudly proclaiming, "I gotta wedgie!!!". None of the kids seem to think it's abnormal. I'm trying not to laugh. Who's the adult now?

2. A student coming back from lunch late and interrupting reading by saying from the door, again, loudly, "I wet myself. Didn't make it to the bathroom in time. Need to go to the nurse for pants. Can I?" Yes, it was that matter-of-fact. Again, I stifled laughter and took care of the issue discretely. I seemed to be the only one who thought this was slightly odd!! Did the other kids not notice?? Or were their thoughts, "Dude, don't worry. Happened to me last week."

3. I sent home a field trip permission slip yesterday. The trip is next month. One student brought his lunch for the field trip today. I think that is still topped by the student who last year chowed down on her lunch on the way to the field trip...on the bus...at 9am....while no one else was eating. :)

4. There has been a recent rash of "I like you" type notes in our classroom. They are ALWAYS written on the corner of a math workbook page and left inconspicuously around the room.

5. After Christmas, a student was particularly intrigued with airport security pat-downs. After he talked about it in the morning, I should have KNOWN he would pat a kid down at lunch. Duh. I'm glad he has our school's safety in the forefront of his mind...

6. On 101 day of school, a student wrote, "If I had 101 dollars I would buy a gnringlfd car, a grninglfd laptop, a gringlfd watch..." I found out that gringlfd = golden. Exchange rate must have changed. 101 dollars is buying a lot!

7. Sitting like a puppy at community circle and licking paws/hands. I don't think I'll ever figure that one out.

8. One student, who's locker I never should have put next to the girls' restroom, seems to have more snow clothing than anyone else. It is such a process. And, his boots almost always end up in the doorway of the girls' restroom. He has no idea. I've started carrying his snow clothes into the room for him to change into. Bless his heart. He's usually distracted and doesn't realize where I've gone for at least a minute.

9. I've figured out that one, usually very quiet and reserved student, has a crush on a girl in our class. He busted his SWAGGER out. Wish I had a video to attach!

10. One little cutie forgot her boots all of last week. She had her giant snow pants and coat...which she wore with her sparkly ballet flats. Guess who had soaked feet? Guess who did the same thing the next day? And the next?

Kids will be kids, right? Gotta love the small things they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment