Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What Else is in Your Pocket?

Ryan. Not sure if he made it to Taco Bell for Thanksgiving, but he was in full swing today. School had been in session roughly 40 minutes and Ryan (who has the AMAZING skill of turning even the tiniest piece of scrap into a masterpiece) had made an entire family of paper dragons on his desk. Even baby dragons. I couldn't take it anymore. I told him to take every scrap out to his book bag so his desk could be clear to work! I checked on him at his locker once and then our our paraprofessional went out to check on him.

When she returned this is what she told me: She asked Ryan if he had put all of the dragons in his locker. "No, do I have to put the baby ones in there too?". "Yes." she told him. As he put the dragons in his locker, he kept one hand in his pocket. "Ryan, what's in your pocekt?" He pulled out another dragon, put it in his locker and promptly shoved his hand back in his pocket. "Ryan, what else is in your pocket?" He pulled out a toy and she told him that needed to go in his locker as well. This went on a few more times until she finally asked, "Ryan what ELSE is in your pocket?" "A cookie he said, pulling out a cookie." She couldn't help but laugh as she told him he needed to throw it away. He informed her he was saving it for later.

Ryan returned to the room. I noticed his hand was still shoved deep in his pocket. "Ryan, what's in your pocket?" I asked. "Nothing." He said. "What's in your hand?" "Nothing, nothing, nothing." He said grinning and waving the hand not in his pocket. "The other hand, Ryan." I said. He pulled it out of his pocket, leaving the treasure behind. Soon another boy came up to me and informed me that Ryan indeed had another cookie in his pocket!

No comments:

Post a Comment